ACO Drain Outlet to Ceramic Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

total novice here with a new Aco installation that I'm trying to connect up, but have hit a snag. It's hard to explain so I'll let some pictures do the talking. The Aco runs in front of my garage doors and the main input to it is the downpipe from the gutter. Here's a pic before the Aco was installed:

DDA9-DC7-C-EC84-42-AC-BCDA-00-FEDEDA3324.jpg

Now, this is a picture of the other side of the doors where I've broken the concrete floor a little to allow a 110mm elbow to flow down to the drain in the floor:

D7568-F70-DD06-43-B6-BBD3-B6-EDA3294012.jpg

C6-CF7-D16-BE9-B-4-C5-B-BFA9-7-DFC1005755-A.jpg

So, what you can hopefully see is that there's an old ceramic drain here I was hoping to connect to. However there is an obstruction in the way. It appears to be the top of some sort of trap that rises above, about level with the neck of the drain, and it's part of the same component. As you can see, I've accidentally broken through the top of the trap when clearing away the concrete channel above.

The main issue is that if try to extend the outlet pipe with a 40cm extension section to direct it into the neck of the ceramic drain, then the pipe is forced up about 30 degrees because of the trap. What are my solutions? I can't place the Aco higher, because it's at ground level outside, and I can't do anything much with the ceramic drain. The 3 solutions I can think of:

1 - Cut the top off the ceramic trap, patch it with a resin/mesh/mortar/SBR(?), overlay it with the extension pipe at correct gradient into the drain.

2 - Break a bit more of the concrete floor around trhe gully and create a more effective concrete channel directing water from the plastic outlet, around/over the obstruction down into the drain. The cement needs some additive to make it more waterproof I guess. I then need some kind of grill or cover over it.

3 - Break a bit more of the concrete floor, fit a 68mm reducer on the 110mm outlet and then lay some of this smaller piping to flow around the obstruction, into the drain. Make good the broken neck of the drain and then concrete over the whole thing.

Are there any other products or solutions out there to make this job quick and easy? I want to be the least destructive as possible, but I do want to get rainwater from the Aco to this drain with as little disappearing into the floor of the garage/patio as possible. Any advice welcome as I'm completely new to most of this.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back