Active Woodworm in Victorian House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

i have active woodworm.
- the holes and tunnels are nearly all downstairs (3 storey end terrace) and mainly in floorboards.
- the tunnels are mainly confined to the edges of the boards, though some are near the centre. they seem to be within the sapwood, you can see a change in the colour of wood and this almost looks like a barrier.
- the tunnels generally all follow the grain of the wood.

as the problem is mainly on the ground floor could this be a sign that there is a serious damp problem? i can see no sign of damp downstairs, mould or stained walls etc. we are an end terrace to the walls on one side are cold.

any advice greatfully received.

many thanks
adam

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply. i have read that woodworm requires humidity within timber of about 20% so i thought that the fact that its active downstairs would mean that the timbers are getting too moist and that that problem would also need treating, what do you think?

i am oing to get rentokil round in a few weeks but im fully expecting them to recommend lots of things.

thanks
adam

and once youve got over the shock of having them round :eek: .
ask around for your local timber preservation company to come round and do a survey.

Sponsored Links
The problem is in the floorboards !

Condensation on wooden floorboards extremely unlikely.

How do you know that the woodworm is active?

Signs of activty are frass heaps - tiny wood pellets, light coloured when fresh. And if you open up the area with say a screwdriver you will actually see the tiny mechanics at work or incubating.

Most revealed wood

worm is dormant - the bugs have long since gone.

Spray-on or brushed on insecticide is the best method of treating them, it's easy for a diy'er, but should be repeated say, at six months and twelve months intervals until no activity.

Caution, read the insecticide instructions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back