External Party wall on victorian terrace house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of buying a victorian street house mid-terrace but have just looked at the back wall of the 2 storey bathroom/kitchen which is at right angles to the main house. This wall joins to next door and appear to have a great crack between the 2 houses. Am I right in thinking that they were built like this as 2 separate walls. There are end bricks on every other row where they tie in. It appears that it is the other house that is moving away rather that ours. Is this a problem? It has been filled in previously with cement. This has also opened up and hence the new gap.

Sponsored Links
I strongly recommend a full structural survey in that case before completion. This will produce a full report on the state of the structure and from that you can either sleep easy, walk away or negotiate the price down.

Excellent advice from dazb. However, if you post some pics you will get some useful comments. How cracked is a crack is like how long is a piece of string, without seeing it.

Sponsored Links
I'm digitally incompetent,but i believe that there is advice on here somewhere for posting pics. Or go to the computer section for info.

So the house on the left is the neighbour's?

1.The brick course beds dont line-up, the join is not toothed in.
2. different brick on either side.
3. "your" stack is leaning slightly to the left.
4. the outriggers have different roof pitches.
5. back left on where the neighbours main roof joins to the left a drop in ridge heights.
6. does this street drop to the left?
7. are basements present?
8. any interior cracks or door heads sagging?
9. did you observe in the loft the condition of the party wall and gable/pike?
10. the CI RWP on your side is hanging loose.

From the above it appears that the left and right sides of the outrigger were built at different times. i cant be certain. There are remedial measures available, but only as suggested above after a full survey.

Thanks
We have been told that it was common in Victorian houses to have separate builds. Hence the different bricks. The street does fall away to the left. No basement present and we havent been in the loft yet.

Well i live and learn, but it's the first i've heard of separate builds in Victorian times. Obviously it has been done but as a common practice? Perhaps it was a local practice.

Anyhow, if you go further, then consult with neighbours on left, and up and down the street. Go look for similar or re-builds, ask about inclulding estate agents and BCO's.

Find out when the compo/mortar fillet was attempted at the crack, the date will give an idea of how fast it's moving.

The mortgage retention would be terrific, ( that's if they gave you a mortgage, this might be an auction candidate ) they hate being involved in more than the property in question, and it's your neighbour's structure that is the prime mover.

In worst case: Min. remedial works would be:
1. perhaps re-build gable
2. underpin lower left side of outrigger.
3. ties across from left to right
4. roof has probably spread so probably roof major work.
5. if the neighbour's left flank wall has tilted too far, then its a total re-build for them.

Well its good news no probs. We took a structural engineer and a chartered surveyor. The walls are fine with no movement. He says the cement has shrunk and needs a flexible filler. Inside the gable there is no cracks and its all original. Just have to sort the electrics, damp and gas now!

I'm glad for you that it's good news, and thank you for getting back and telling us what eventually happened, very few do.

Come back to this forum if you need any further help.

Get the advice that you paid for - S/E and surveyor - in writing, insist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back