Half brick wide walls in terrace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently purchased a mid victorian terrace property which is one of 4 houses in this build.

The party walls between me and my neighbours is only half a brick wide (i.e. stretcher bond) on both sides.

Of more concern is I have also noticed that on the neighbouring property the gable end of the terrace (external wall) is also only half a brick wide. Surely this should be at least one brick wide to keep the terrace supported?

The front and back walls of the terrace are one brick wide, but it appears all the walls which connect between these and divide up the terrace into the 4 properties are only half a brick wide.

Should i be concerned?

Sponsored Links
I recently purchased a mid victorian terrace property which is one of 4 houses in this build.

So its what 150 years old? or more? well i think in that time it would have shown some signs of distress if it was a problem..

Not sure of the exact age? But i think it was one of the 1st properties to be built here.

Yeh i know what you mean, if its stood for this long......it must be sound :D

But everything i read tells me that a half brick wide wall is not suitable for the an external wall of a house!

It was quite common for some Victorian terraced houses to have 4 instead of 9 inch party walls. As Static says it's stood the test of time. Main worry is a fire next door.

Sponsored Links
It was quite common for some Victorian terraced houses to have 4 instead of 9 inch party walls. As Static says it's stood the test of time. Main worry is a fire next door.

But the gable walls are only 4 inch too! I'm glad i'm not in the end terrace, as that must get very cold.

With regards to fire, i have at least completed the party walls in the loft to stop it spreading through there.

Are you sure it's 4 inch and not a cavity wall on the gable? This was sometimes done on older houses where the gable was exposed. 4 inch gable would probably be really damp. The Public Health Act in the 1800's outlawed 4 inch exterior walls for housing, apart from things like scullerys.

Are you sure it's 4 inch and not a cavity wall on the gable? This was sometimes done on older houses where the gable was exposed. 4 inch gable would probably be really damp. The Public Health Act in the 1800's outlawed 4 inch exterior walls for housing, apart from things like scullerys.

I'll go up in the loft and double check tomorrow.

The gable wall needs some re-pointing on the outside, so if i can see daylight at these points in the loft (i can look through the air gap into next doors loft space) it must only be 4 inch thick.

If you can see though to next doors attic, you havn`t finished the fire break yet. Seal it up tight. ;)

If you can see though to next doors attic, you havn`t finished the fire break yet. Seal it up tight. ;)

On the advice of my roofer (who took 5 attempts to stop my chimney leaking) i left a brick out on each side so that air could flow.

Is this a stupid idea?

If air can get through so can fire. How does air from next door vent the chimney?

I meant it vents the loft. You should see the wood in there, actual tree trunks with bark still attatched :eek: are used as beams and rafters

The chimney was just another part of the job the roofer was doing.

It is possible that its a single skin wall.. but the only legit reason i could see of this would be if the terrace contained a few more houses before the last war, and now have one or two less.. check the local area and see how many other terraces form a set, or if there is a continuation of the terrace a house or two over..

In the end be glad your a middle terrace..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back