How thick are my party walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to ascertain thickness of the party walls. The house is a 1910 built Edwardian Terrace. The external walls are an early cavity type with brick walls inner and solid stone on the outside of the property.

The only place I can examine the party wall brickwork is the loft and bathroom which is currently back to brick for refurb (photos attached). The bricks seem to be all running the same way and my understanding is that there are supposed to be some bricks placed sideways in the wall for it to be double brick thickness?

We have recently had new neighbours on one side and are hearing a lot more from next door than we used to

Attachments

• 18D52957-3303-499E-A8AB-553EC4703F62.jpeg
    18D52957-3303-499E-A8AB-553EC4703F62.jpeg
    447.3 KB · Views: 328
  • B4BA9977-B7BD-4793-B43D-6DB35BC3FA7B.jpeg
    B4BA9977-B7BD-4793-B43D-6DB35BC3FA7B.jpeg
    508.2 KB · Views: 340
Sponsored Links
Measure in from a window.
Total thickness inside to out on the external walls is 37cm - but pretty sure there is a cavity in there somewhere as the internal faces are brick and external stone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links
They are probably 9 inch. Headers can be every course, every other, every 4 or so on. They can be snapped headers in face work to match a bond, but in a party wall usually indicate a solid 9inch wall.

Thanks for all the replies. So the clarify, the presence of headers (in the bathroom wall at least) means the party walls are likely to be 9inch thick (two brick widths when laid lengthways)? Not 4.5 inch thick (width of one single brick)

"One brick thick" when describing a wall is one brick lengthways ie 230mm or 9" , as opposed to "half a brick thick" which is a brick widthways ie 102mm or 4".

Party walls were invariably solid 9" and only started to change to cavity in the late 1920's and early 30's, and houses with early cavity external walls still had solid party walls for a while

Thanks, that makes sense now!

So the absence of headers in the loft space may mean that wall is only half a brick thick? Is it common to have less thickness in the loft ?

Thanks, that makes sense now!

So the absence of headers in the loft space may mean that wall is only half a brick thick? Is it common to have less thickness in the loft ?
Yes. Its common for cavity party walls to be reduced to 9", and 9" walls reduced to 4½" for the fire break wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back