Party Wall Construction Method

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm building a small extension into my back-garden and was going to build a wall up to the boundary line but my neighbour is keen to go halves on a party wall that he can make use of as well. The houses ares 130 yr old solid brick built. Any tips on the preferred / best construction method for the Party Wall - solid or cavity, thickness, insulation (in the cavity or on my side internally?) and any fire regs issues? I have a load of commons brick lying around so would prefer to build from that rather than block (also gives more finishing options).

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
We will need a little more info, will the building be separated from the property or is it going to be extended from the property and how big, what is the building for etc.

Hi there,

Building is to be extended from existing property - consists of two walls and a roof enclosing a space created by the rear wall on one side and side wall of kitchen on the other (house is typical L-shaped terrace floorplan). Total surface area less than 6 m sq. Height of party wall max. 2.85m from external finished ground level. Building is habitable room (not conservatory).

Thanks,
M

Sponsored Links
Your best bet is to pop down to your local Building Control Office for their free advice as difference area have difference rules, you may only just need building regs depending how big etc

Take a rough drawing with you, normally they are very helpful

In my area you don't have to make an appointment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back