Party wall construction in 1930 terraced house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I live in a 1930 end of terraced london house. As part of the renovations I am hoping to remove the chimney breast at some point. Spoken to the council etc, but am curious about what the thickness of the party wall we share with our neighbours is?

The entire house is built of double skin red brick with no cavity. Are both myslef and my neighbour likely to each have double skin bricks on the party wall, meanign 4 bricks thick?

I would imagine it's more than just 2 bricks between us and them. Only reason i say this is because I've removed all the plaster on these wall and odd bricks have fallen out. If it was only 2 bricks, I'm sure my work would have affected there plaster.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
One way to find out would be to measure the distance between the edge of your lounge window nearest the party wall and also the edge of the lounge window of the house next door nearest the wall on the outside, then measure the distance inside between the edge of your window and the party wall on the inside. Subtact double the internal measurement from the external measurement and you will get the wall thickness.
This of course assumes the houses are symetrical and the window openings have not been modified.

Sponsored Links
The party wall will be 9" (1 brick thick) if it's a solid wall. I'm 99.999% certain. It won't be 2 bricks thick unless there has been significant remedial work carried out for some unknown reason.

As an aside, Redrow were building houses with 100mm "party" walls in the early 90's. I remember a site manager beaming with pride at how "efficient" their builds were :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back