Will a solid brick or cavity wall have better sound insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting a single detached property into a semi-detached by building a party wall directly through the middle.

I have two options for this;
1) Build a solid brick wall, 215mm thick, with plasterboard to each face.
2) Build a cavity wall consisting of two 100mm 3.6n Block wall separated by a 100mm cavity with Rockwool Soundboard within it. Again with plasterboard to each outside face

Can anyone please advise which will achieve the best soundproofing, and perhaps point me to an online resource that shows this.

Intuitively I would say Option 2, but keen to understand more detail.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thank you @tomfe that's a really helpful website.

Any comment on the relative acoustic performance would be appriciated.

Single skin block but with resilient bars behind the plasterboard screwed to battens with more rock wool in between battens would be even better. You'd be surprised how effective the resilient bars are

Sponsored Links
The OP may be surprised how effective 7n blocks instead of 3.5, and a normal air cavity will be ... instead of insulation to transmit sound and a complicated resilient bar system.

The details at junctions with floors, walls etc will be important too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back