Soundproofing A Brick Party Wall-Best Method?

Sorry to raise this thead from the grave, but I'm interested to find out if you actually went ahead with the Acousticel M20AD?mm

I'm considering it to line a party wall in my 1900 terrace house, where TV noise, talking and kids are driving me to distraction recently. It's a 2 up 2 down place, and I can't really afford to lose any more then 50mm

Any have experience with this stuff?

Sponsored Links
Bron & Macman81,

Did you persue your quest for the reduction of noise ? Interested to know what you decided on and the success..

cheers,
John

Hi just curious to know if anyone has used Acousticel M20AD wall panels? Im seriously considering using these for ease of installation and claimed improvement. Thanks..

Sponsored Links
macman81 said:
I understand this is less effective than option 1),

not necessarily. a good architect told me that adding weight to any structural barrier will reduce noise travel effectively. the best soundproof booths are lined with lead.

apparently.
Didn't someone here some time ago filled it with sand? I can't find the topic.

just for the record i used M20 panels on my bedroom, with 2 layers of acoustiboard plasterboard. The difference is incredible and the loss of space minimal (6 cm)

I have quite a few resilient bars spare from doing some sound proofing for a 100W JCM 800 Marshall guitar amp, people could hear it outside before it ever got past 2.

I was making a box for the speakers to sit in. From memory, it was all 19mm chipboard and every seam was sealed. The top was hinged and there was a neoprene seal on the join.

Inside, I added studs, rubber lined wool insulation, then resilient bars, then had another box inside that with the speakers mounted in that. And, importantly, a microphone to pick the sound up and run it back to the computer / headphones. The point of it was to get the amazing sound of the Marshall, without the amazing volume, power breaks, digital emulation or anything like that in the way of the signal -> speakers line. Guitar amps do actually sound better turned up really loud, as the way the circuit and speakers respond or distort changes quite dramatically. Different distortion patterns create the signatures of different electric guitar sounds.

The box was sat on top of shredded rubber mat -> chipboard -> another layer of mat, to reduce the direct mechanical transmission to the floor (it was about the size of an office desk and HEAVY).

That worked incredibly well. Anyone who's had a go with one of the old 100w Marshalls knows the volume can rattle glass panes and easily go straight through walls.

In the insulation, I could still talk over it without raising my voice, sat a foot from it and with it turned up.

I had to buy a gigantic pack of resilient bars. If you're after some, I can count them up and perhaps post them out for some reduced £££. They're all clean and unbattered / hole / plaster / glue free since I hid them in the loft to keep them like that.

The stud wall suggestion is a good one (obviously, not mechanically connected to the party wall in anyway). That's a doable, cheap method that will get the sound down.

With it only being the TV / talking, that's not a major sound problem, so spending a fortune on studio foams / wools isn't really worth it.

Some sound will leak through the floor timbers resting on the walls in theory, but it's going to be pathetically low given the weight of the floors and the flexibility of the timber. The wall is doing it because it's a rigid surface.

You could try mounting the resilient bars to the wall and hanging the board alone to save space and make it easier, given the low level noise you're dealing with in the first place.

It depends on, a.) How much noise needs dealing with (not a lot by the sound of it) b.) How silent does it need to be c.) How much do you have free to spend d.) How expensive is space to you

a.) & b.) don't seem like big problems to me for something like the noise you're talking about.

So that leaves you with c.) & d.).

Particularly d.)

Resilient bars directly on the walls with new board may be enough.

A stud wall with insulation will almost certainly get it.

Something to keep in mind whenever dealing with insulations (be it for heat or noise) is that TINY gaps MASSIVELY compromise the effectiveness of the work.

A draft will ruin a big chunk of the thermal properties for something like foam board insulation. Rendering the boards more like a hidden decoration.

Similarly, if you leave gaps on your acoustic wall, the sound will still try getting round it all that way, potentially wrecking all your elbow grease, cash and time in it.

You will need to float the boards to some extent and allow for movement / expansion with gaps at the edge. Sealing those as you go will produce a lot of gain for very little extra money, time or cash.

Once you have your boards up, be it on the bars or a stud wall, dart round the edges with a cartridge of flexible decorators caulk or silicone and seal that be-atch.

You can get special intumescent caulks for doing acoustic work, but they're pretty much just decorators caulk in a more expensive looking tube. You can paint over acrylic decorating caulk, but I've also seen acrylic shrink away from surfaces if they're highly porous & dry, so the seal may reopen. They also don't flex as nicely as silicone.

Go for a high modulus sealant as it'll flex more if the panels move and it's only there to seal them, not mechanically fix or support them. Siroflex do HMA (high modulus acetoxy) silicone in cartridges for a few pounds. One or two of those will do the entire thing. NOTE: I don't know enough about the effects of silicone on plaster board, so you might want to check acetoxy will be okay first, as that type of sealant involves acetic acid (the smell of salt n' vinegar crisps) and the plasterboard is from alkaline minerals.

If you use rigid foam boards in a stud wall layout, you could also consider foaming those into place. Cut them a bit short on the width and length, then run round them with a can of squirty foam. The foam will expand and block any air passages at that level too. Just be careful it doesn't expand out the back and touch the party wall.

Hope there's something helpful in there.

If you're interested in those bars, shoot me a PM or something like that and I'll count them up and see about posting them.

Anyone got any idea how much better M20AD would be over say 2 layers of System 10 crumb rubber carper underlay? M20AD is extreemly expensive and as far as I can see made from the same stuff as System 10... recycled car tyres...

I'm considering bonding two layers of system 10 to a wall then bonding 2 layers of 12.5 acoustic plasterboard over that... I'm in the flooring industry so can get system 10 pretty cheap...

It doesn't really matter what you do - nothing works.

I've got a six inch gap between me and the neighbour - so that's 9 inch brick 6 inch air gap and 9 inches of brick - but I can still hear them walking about and his missus 'singing' at night. It's all to do with resonant frequencies.

I've been intrigued to see if anyone can find a solution to noise in Terraces and Semi's.
From my GCSE Physics, I believe sound travels via particles vibrating.
Be it along joists running into the party walls, solid walls or simply particles in the air.
So it seems obvious to try to reduce / removing the vibrations of particles.

Either creating a space (by resilience bars or stud wall) filling the space with heavy material that deadens the sound, by reducing the vibrations
(please correct me if my C grade in physics is wrong).

I'm now renovating my semi and on the joining wall which has two chimney breasts (4 alcoves). I am looking to:
Fill any holes with cement
Build a Stud wall joined at floor and ceiling.
Use Acoustic Mastic to seal.
Then (not too sure what to go next)
Some deadening rubber or wool
And Acoustic Plasterboard.

What do you think, sound or back to school?

The only thing that works is stopping the vibrations getting into the structure in the first instance - once in - you've lost the battle.

You can't realistically stop all sound transfer in existing buildings but you can reduce it. Seal any gaps with acoustic sealant. Gaps are the easiest route for sound. There's a rule of thumb that 10% gaps will allow 90% of sound to pass. All frequencies will pass through gaps. Secondly you need to realise that different frequencies travel more or less easily though different densities of materials. Just employing heavy dense materials will only be effective against lower frequencies. Higher frequences will still travel quite easily. (think prisoners tapping out messages on steel water pipes) Good sound systems will employ both high and low density materials and also at least one cavity.

If you look closely at this photo of the chimney breast, you can see a single span brick wall, loose bricks and yes that's the neighbours plasterboard......

Not exactly sure what has happened when the removed their chimney breast.

Going to have to tackle that somehow.
Probably rebuild the wall/hole.
Then cement up the back of the fireplace as putting in a log stove.....

The wonders you find during renovation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back