Shared joists a problem for soundproofing solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to install a soundproofing solution to the party wall in my Victorian semi. The solution is fairly standard- independent stud wall with acoustic quilt and three layers of plasterboard. However I have just discovered that my floor joists are shared with my neighbour across the party wall.

Do I need to do something about this in addition to installing the independent wall? Presumably sound will travel through the shared joists as well as through the party wall.

Thanks,
Andy

Sponsored Links
You will have to do something or most of the work to the wall will be wasted.

You will either have to isolate or insulate the floor deck and ceiling.

Or if you shove a load of rockwool tightly between the joists for at least part of the way from the party wall, then this may take a lot of the reverberation out of them.

Who designed the wall solution? Is it to keep sound out or in - ie have you confirmed what you are doing is the best method for what you want to achieve?

Thanks woody.

The wall solution was proposed by a company near where I live (total acoustic solutions).

Is rockwool padding the best/only solution? Presumably others would be more expensive?

You must be aware of the concept of how sound will/may travel along the joists? So you will know in general terms how to prevent this

Its going to be difficult to determine exactly how much of a problem these joists will be ... which in turn will determine how involved your solution should be.

Probably best to build your wall and see how you go. Then if need be investigate the floor. It may be that a thick carpet and underlay may be enough

1/2 metre of rockwoll between the joists will help, and if it's no trouble when you do the wall, then consider doing this.

Otherwise, play it by ear. lol

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back