Soundproofing help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house is a semi and I soundproofed my bedroom party wall with battens to wall, insulation inbetween, resilient bars and 2 layers of 15mm plasterboard with membrane sandwhiched inbetween and its done naff all. I can still hear the neighbours washing machine and kettle boiling in their kitchen from my upstairs bedroom so i've built a stud wall in my kitchen 75mm off the kitchen party wall, insulated inbetween and 1 layer of 15mm plasterboard and again its done nothing. I can constantly hear doors banging, the female arguing, draws in the bedroom closing, washing running at 4am on a morning, female singing like a strangled cat, the list goes on.

Everything i've done hasn't worked. What am i doing wrong? will i need to soundproof the living room and second bedroom which are divided by the neighbouring party wall to see/hear any difference?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
What direction do your floor joists run?

If you are cursed with a 1970s house with joists embedded in the party wall there could be openings between the dwellings through the party wall.

The joists run from front to back of the house. Ground floor is concrete so it's first floor & loft & on checking the joists they don't interfere with the party wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back