Soundproofing a Chimney Breast Wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning to try and reduce the passage of sound through the solid brick party wall in our living room. The system I was thinking of is 30mm of heavy density mineral insulation, with resilient bars over the top, followed by 2 layers of 12.5mm plasterboard.

The issue I'm having is what to do with the chimney breast. We have an open fire and will be getting a stone fireplace at the same time as installing the soundproofing. Can the chimney breast be treated in the same manner? I was concerned about fire resistance, and the structural integrity of a stone fire place fastened to a 'flexible' wall using the resilient bars.

Any suggestions please?

I'm not 100% sure about the method of soundproofing, so if anyone has any better suggestions I woud be grateful to hear them. I am limited by space, so the 'thinner' the system the better.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought the mass of the bulky fireplace will take care of any soundproofing needed within this area.

I would have thought the mass of the bulky fireplace will take care of any soundproofing needed within this area.

I was thinking of just cladding the walls either side, but I was worried that the chimney itself would conduct the sound through to the walls either side. I'm soundproofing as much for the benefit of the old lady next door as for me.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back