Wood burner with upstairs chimney breast removed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Property: Victorian
Room Kitchen / Diner

Is it possible to install log burner inside a fireplace (which was sealed up in the 1970s or 80s).

The chimney breast in the kitchen diner. There are wall cabinet on the chimney cabinet as well as a breakfast bar. Is is possible to keep the existing breakfast bar and wall cabinets (or is it a fire hazard)?

Questions :
1. Is it possible to re-open this sealed up chimney breast and fit a log burner?
2. Above the kitchen is a bedroom. It has had the chimney breast removed. If so can new ducting be made? SO has to vent the exaust from the wood burner?
3. The is a vent hold already for the cooker hood. It is possible to connect the new log burner to the same ducting? (Is there a risk of carbon monoxide if say the wood burner is on the same vent as the cooker hood)?

Is there anything I should be concerned about?

Attached is a drawing ;)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Kitchen - Log Burner v1.0 .jpg
    Kitchen - Log Burner v1.0 .jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 134
Sponsored Links
Is there a risk of carbon monoxide if say the wood burner is on the same vent as the cooker hood)?
When the fan in the cooker hood is running it will be forcing air and cooking fumes to the T junction, Some will go out but some will go towards the log burner. Smoke and fumes from the burning wood will be forced out and into the room,

Dangerous and not permitted by regulations

What’s in the loft/ on the roof?
what you seem to be asking is if you can rebuild a chimney that has been removed.

I guess that you could, and maybe use lighter more modern materials in the bedroom to insulate and surround any steel flue, but it has to go somewhere. If the old chimney has been blocked or removed in the attic, and the roof changed, it may be expensive.

can you legally have a log burner in your area?

Good points @bernardgreen

@Tigercubrider There is a chimney breat in the ground floor, but it has been boarded up. The bedroom chimney breast has been removed altogether. A metal pipe going through the upstairs bedroom, would not be desirable..... That is why I was trying to see, f I can have a flue on the ground floor....

I don't know if I can have log burner in my area, what are the legal alternatives? I would rather be ahead of any rules.

Sponsored Links
Ive done just that but installed twin wall from the fire opening up inside the old chimney ,through the bedroom and loft space and out through the roof.
You have to use twin wall flue respecting distances to combustable and very short horizontal run behind the stove.
If you dont want the flue though the bedroom your only option would be to go out through the wall at 45° behind the stove or just below the ground floor ceiling, then vertically up an outside wall higher than the roof

A twinwall flue through the bedroom will help to heat that room.
AFAIK You cannot have an extractor anywhere near a wood burner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back