Building a chimney breast for wood burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two questions:

1. Can you build a chimney breast for a wood-burner of a wooden frame or does it have to be metal?
2. Should you insulate the wall (stone wall - no cavity or insulation) behind the new chimney breast before building it against said wall?

For context, my house is upside down. This is the living-room upstairs where I’ll be installing it.

Many thanks!

Attachments

• F64FD599-908A-42D5-AF33-CE25CA094E9B.jpeg
    F64FD599-908A-42D5-AF33-CE25CA094E9B.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 39
Sponsored Links
Two questions:

1. Can you build a chimney breast for a wood-burner of a wooden frame or does it have to be metal?
2. Should you insulate the wall (stone wall - no cavity or insulation) behind the new chimney breast before building it against said wall?

For context, my house is upside down. This is the living-room upstairs where I’ll be installing it.

Many thanks!

Depends whether it's a single wall flue or a twin wall...

Check the manufacturers specifications, they'll tell you the distance that you'll have to leave between the stove and combustible materials.

I'm building mine at the moment, metal stud and cement board around the stove and immediately above the single wall flue, wood and plasterboard where it's twin-wall.

Download Approved Document J (freely available online), everything you need to know is in there

Attachments

• 20231022_184819.jpg
    20231022_184819.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 65

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back