Removal of Downstairs Chimmney Breast - Advice Please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I live in a mid terraced early 1900's house. The downstairs living room and dinning room each has a chimney breast, which follows upstairs in the front and back bedrooms and joins up in the loft.

I have been considering for some time the removal of the chimney breast in the downstairs living room, as space is a premium and, to be honest, the fireplace has been closed up so the chimney breast is just a waste of precious space.

The wall with the chimney breasts back onto the neighbours who's chimney I believe also runs against that wall....if that makes any difference..

What sort of an undertaking would this be.. I appreciate that the chimney breast upstairs would need supporting, I guess this would be done in the ceiling/floor..??

Would this be a major building job ??

Many Thanks

Dougie

Sponsored Links
It would involve a Structural Engineer to do a set of calculations and specify the load and what size brackets or RSJ would be required to support it and you would also have to inform your neighbours and your local Building Inspector as it involves the Party Wall Act.

For the same amount of money you could probably get the chimney opened up and get a woodburning stove installed, a much better use of your cash.

To be honest, it'd be easier if you removed the chimneys from both the upstairs and downstairs back rooms. The chimney stack can then be removed from within the loft space and supported by a standard set of gallows brackets and metal plate. These will cost you around £120. the brackets will need to be attached to the wall with 6" roll bolts depending on the size of the chimneys.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
These works are structural, and bco would need to be informed, and as previously said engineers to calculate steels.
Our local bco dont allow gallow brackets.

These works are structural, and bco would need to be informed, and as previously said engineers to calculate steels.
Our local bco dont allow gallow brackets.

Don't allow gallows???? Well that just whacks up the cost to a lot more straight away then!

Forgot to mention, if your house has been built using lime mortar, you will need to use steels instead of gallows brackets as well.... and yes the local council will have to be informed - with my local councils it's a £120 notice and that covers all visits needed by the inspectors and certificate once work is complete.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back