Removing downstairs chimney breast but not upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have recently moved into a ground floor flat in a two storey terrace house. One of our rooms has a chimney breast while the corresponding room in the upstairs flat have a fire place which they do not use. This may be a stupid question but can we remove our chimney breast and they still have their fireplace as a functioning fireplace? What level of impact will our removing the chimney breast have on their fireplace? Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Hi, we have recently moved into a ground floor flat in a two storey terrace house. One of our rooms has a chimney breast while the corresponding room in the upstairs flat have a fire place which they do not use. This may be a stupid question but can we remove our chimney breast and they still have their fireplace as a functioning fireplace? What level of impact will our removing the chimney breast have on their fireplace? Cheers.

Unless you involve a structural engineer and a quantity of steel, it's more a case of the impact their chimney breast will have on you...

Cheers
Richard

You say you moved into a flat. I obviously assume you have bought the flat and therefore own it.

One thing I always check with people who are looking to make alterations to flats is that they own the freehold and not just the leasehold.

In small converted houses you may indeed be individual freeholders. Just thought I would check that you have checked.

Sometimes the freehold can even be shared/owned by all the flats in the converted house...but in that situation you are still a leaseholder.

It always surprises me how many people do not realise they have a leasehold nor what it means or even the implications it has on any alterations or any work done to the flat.

If it is a leasehold you need to check that first. Then you need to check your lease. You need to comply with whatever covenants are contained within your lease.

Are you leasehold or freehold?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back