Soundproofing a ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice.

Currently having a garage conversion done, the garage is integral with a kids bedroom above. The purpose of the soundproofing is to minimise any airbourne noise (TV) from penetrating the bedroom above.

Architect specified 100mm accoustic mineral wool between joists, reseilient bars then 2 layers of soundbloc.

The builder has installed the 100mm accoustic mineral wool between joists but then put resilient tape along the joists followed by 2 layers of soundbloc.

Everthing I have read thus far idicates resilient bars are the way to go as resilient tape is primarily used to sandwich between a stud wall and the floor joists to reduce vibration (i.e. low frequency noises from bass speakers) and impact noises resonating up the wall to the ceiling above.

I have my doubts that having the resilient tape along the josts will be of any benefit?

Also how much benefit should I expect from using reilient bars over what the builder has installed?

Just trying to make a decision on how to proceed from here and wether I should get the builder to pull down the ceiling and redo using resilient bars.

Sponsored Links
Resilient bars are the proper way of mitigating sound transmission.
If the architect specified them, why has your builder done something different?

Tape is inappropriate here, the bars will be better but hard for anyone to say by how much inc your architect. Personally I'd be inclined to say if its a mistake he puts it right. Easier said than done though. Resilient bars do more to prevent impact sound from the floor above rather than airbourne from the floor below.

Sponsored Links
Resilient bars are the proper way of mitigating sound transmission.
If the architect specified them, why has your builder done something different?
He took advice from the builders/timber merchant when he went in looking for resilient bars. I just wish he had said to me prior to installation. He is prepared to rectify it but I just want to make sure that going to the effort of rectifying that it will make a significant difference.

What does your architect say? Are they happy that it will perform to a similar standard?
Not spoken to the architect yet as only found this out close of play friday so will need to wait to monday to speak to architect

Resilient bars do more to prevent impact sound from the floor above rather than airbourne from the floor below.
What is the best method for preventing airbourne noise travel up to the floor above then?

just want to make sure that going to the effort of rectifying that it will make a significant difference.

You can't really tell for sound insulation as it is often subjective, and also depends on many unknowns, such as the type and quality of the adjacent construction.

As FMT advised, these things are more effective in one direction, but adding more weight to the ceiling will improve airborne sound insulation.

A good compromise that I expect would keep your builder happy would be to add another sheet of board, that'd do more than the resilient bars would have done anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back