Sound insulation ceiling and floor separate joists ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm renovating a large room, below bedrooms above.
knackered ceiling is now down, most floor joists (above) need replacing.

I want to soundproof to cut down:
-noise from shouting, singing, swearing, etc from downstairs to upstairs

and it would be nice to reduce footfall, tv etc noise coming down from above.

I could use resilient bars, but I could just as easily hang the ceiling on separate joists, (fixed into the stone walls) between the floor joists above.

I could then use either soundblocker fleece: http://www.soundservice.co.uk/soundblocker-quilt-plus.html or thermafleece ultrawool: http://www.thermafleece.com/product/thermafleece-ultrawool going over the ceiling joists and under the floor joists (I reckon I can afford 50mm to weave below floor joists/above ceiling joists.

I'd then finish off either with plasterboard - not sure whether to go for 1 layer or 2 or thicker or soundblocking plasterboard.

So a couple of questions or three:

Am I right in thinking that, from a sound reduction point of view, it's better to have separate floor & ceiling joists than resilient bars?

Anyone got any views on relative effectiveness of soundblocker vs thermafleece ?

Plasterboard - one layer or 2 or use soundblocking plasterboard?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Cheers
Stephen

Sponsored Links
there's a resilient strip around the edge of a resilient bar ceiling whereas your 2nd set of joists will be mechanically fixed to the same walls/structure as the 1st set of joists so that is a route for transmitted sound. I wouldn't assume your 2nd joist plan will be better than properly installed resilient bar.

Look at the density of each quilt (kg/m3) to get a meaningful comparison

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back