Soundproofing experts - low profile wall/ceiling options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,

I’m looking all over for a low profile wall soundproofing solution for my flat. there are quite a few products out there for low profile sound proofing, like gyproc triline and Acara panels which perform very well but are expensive.

The noise is general talking and loud footsteps and I have 1920s red brick walls with no cavities, I plan to have the old render removed and the walls skimmed with soundcoat.

I also want to have the ceilings treated but again I want to preserve some ceiling height, keep it under 40mm. The ceilings have about 20mm of render and then what I assume is concrete because its a very hard substance and the floors are also concrete. I would like to remove the old render and then replace with something like 10mm soundcoat if thats advisable.

I don’t want to lose more than 30/40mm wall space because I'd end up living in a box. I've spoken to Gyproc about using soundbloc plaster and two layers of soudbloc but they told me that it would not have any effect, I'd be lucky if I got a 1db improvement! So back to the drawing board, I'm trying to decide between:

Walls

1.Coat bare brick with gyproc soundcoat plus 5mm, attach resilient bars at 400mm spaces to the walls protected by neoprene tape, fill spaces with smallest acoustic mineral wool panels (25mm?) and finish with 1 layer of soundbloc plasterboard. Will the mineral wool compress?

2.Coat bare brick with soundcoat plus plaster max 5mm. Attach one layer of 12.5mm soundbloc plasterboard, glue one layer of 2kg acoustic rubber membrane, then finish with another layer of blueboard 12.5mm.

Ceiling (low profile):

1. Use gypliner set to 25mm height straight to concrete ceiling (no cavity) protected by rubber tape (to stop noise transmission) at 600mm spaces. Infill spaces with 25mm acoustic mineral wool. Finish with 15mm soundbloc.
2. Same as above except using resilient bars straight to concrete but using neoprene tape to dampen vibrations.

I’d like to know based on experience if possible what kind of performance I would get from the above. My builder has noted that damp ingress might be a problem when using res bars and mineral wool, would I need to cover the whole thing with a DPM sheet?

Please take a look at the photo of a hole i chipped in the ceiling, does that look like concrete under the render? www.diynot.com/network/angrysmurf/albums/

Thank you so much to all who reply!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back