Low profile domestic soundproofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear Acousticians

I would like to ask for some advice about low profile solutions in a scenario in which there is not much space to lose. From what I've read there seems to be a depth of knowledge that I have not found on DIY forums.

I live on the second floor of a 5 story block of flats in central London built circa 1920 and suffer from noise coming from all directions, driving me to distraction.

The flat has red brick walls throughout and concrete and beam ceilings. That is, reinforced concrete beams and "clinker" blocks in between, which is a sort of cheap concrete aggregate. The floors are made of the same thing with a cement screed, although the communal landing might be solid concrete.

There is a lot of foot traffic up and down the stairs often throughout the night, and because of the number of student rentals I am awoken by the thunder of trolley suitcases, high heels and shouting. Next doors front door adjoins my bedroom wall and window. I can hear voices clearly from upstairs, as well as TV and to a footsteps if they are wearing shoes (they have cursed laminate floors).

Sound flanks from flats below, and from the slamming of the main entrance up the walls. I have researched all the materials available and am aware of the main methods used in domestic soundproofing. The biggest problem I have is that because of the small size of the flat, I can't go nuts and batten the whole flat out because I'll end up living in a shoe box!

In order to reclaim space from the walls I plan to have the render, which varies from 15-20mm thick, stripped back to the brickwork.
My basic plan is to focus on the bedroom, batten the external walls and possibly the flaking walls, but go direct to brick around the rest of the room. I plan to try and use cheaper materials in the living room walls if possible.

I have looked at a number of sound insulating panels and have identified the Maxiboard and Phonewell panel as two dense yet thin solutions, although only the Phonewell is recommended as a remidial solution for "failed" walls which need to be retrofitted. There are other panels like M20, JCW silentboard and Gyproc Triline but they are all quite thick, or made from cheap materials and/or overpriced.

http://www.soundreduction.co.uk/Products/Walls/Maxiboard-For-Walls/
http://www.acaraconcepts.com/

The Phonewell panel (Acara Concepts) looks very versatile, made from compressed sand, and can be laid as a floating floor, stuck to brick using industrial strength foam adhesive, and used with resilient bars for best results. This is probably the panel I will use.

Can anybody report their experiences using these materials?

For the ceiling I plan to use resilient bars. At first I thought they could be attached straight to the ceiling, but I've been told not to use them this way, to at least use thin timber strips as "packing" to decouple the bars from the ceiling. I am told that the resi bars are all more or less similar and can hold about 35kg/m, how close should I load the bars to this figure? Given the weight of the panels they will be spaced at 400mm centres. I am also looking at resilient bar and clip system. The panels would be attached to the bars and then finished with blue plasterboard.

http://www.hush.uk.com/sound-control-products/hush-bar-plus.php?id=1

The trouble I am having is in knowing what will work, even moderately well given the materials my flat is built from, and the method I wish to use. I have come to realise that the figures used to advertise these products can be confusing, and are not to be taken as standalone figures representing reduction in terms of dB, but used in combination with the exact configuration used in the labs. In other words, I wont know till I have spent 1000s.

It would help if someone could comment on the solution I have proposed, and perhaps explain:

1. When a soundproofing panel is "rated at 43dB", how am I to know what sounds it will and wont cut out and by what degree, i.e. what sounds commonly fall within the spectrum of frequencies, I think voices/TV and mid high and footsteps low?

2. I am aware that sound for soundproofing purposes is divided into the impact and airborne type, that one is solved by mass and the other by airspace, but am not clear which solution applies to which type of noise.

3. How important is the size of the airspace for blocking the sounds I have described, in particular coming from the ceiling. I am told that maximum decoupling is more important rather than depth. I have also been told that sound can actually amplify if it reverberates within the cavity, so some soft of lightweight material should be used to stop this, like foam? If I was using resi bars to a depth of 25mm, that would be the minimum thickness of acoustic mineral wool and I would lose out on the air gap, plus all the materials would create a bridge. I suggested cutting the material down to 10mm thick but I was told this wouldn't be worth it.

4. How effective do you think it would be to stick a sandwich of blue plasterboard and mass loaded vinyl to the walls, with gaps top and bottom, to stop flanking and some airborne sound. What thickness of panel could I get away with? Would you recommend greenglue over rubber membrane?

Please let me know if there are any other products you recommend and thanks to you all for reading!

Sponsored Links
Move. I hear Yorkshire's pretty quiet. In fact, I'm hearing it right now! Yes, very quiet. . . And I'm about 300yds from a "satellite" town centre in a semi which I paid £77k for. Life's good oop noorth cocka.

Not related to your main query, but is the upstairs laminate allowed ?

Many blocks have covenants (?) that floors must be carpeted, exactly to prevent the problems of impact noise.

Sponsored Links
Steve - you are not too far off the mark, ultimately I plan to leave the madness of London, but I am trying to finish postgrad studies and have no choice but to adapt the flat for now.

There are lots of things not allowed, laminate, dogs etc. but I really don't want to alienate all of my neighbours.

Thanks for another great article Ted, in fact the resilient channel system is what I propose, but bare in mind that I have concrete ceilings with no cavity.

Can understand your sensetivity about alienating neighbours but - and I am expressing one of my own strong feelings here - neighbours should be made aware of how their behaviour affects others and pulled up if contravening rules.

Now if you would please take care of that , I'll go back to listening to the Alpine cow-bells and wait for a better world to dawn :D

Can understand your sensetivity about alienating neighbours but - and I am expressing one of my own strong feelings here - neighbours should be made aware of how their behaviour affects others and pulled up if contravening rules.

Now if you would please take care of that , I'll go back to listening to the Alpine cow-bells and wait for a better world to dawn :D

:D

Wear ear plugs to keep the noise out and headphones to hear the noise you want. After a few years, ear infections will make you deaf and you can just use the headphones. ;)

Wear ear plugs to keep the noise out and headphones to hear the noise you want. After a few years, ear infections will make you deaf and you can just use the headphones. ;)

Wow thats original. It also does not make sense, how will I hear anything from the headphones if I am deaf?

If you've nothing useful to contribute please go play with traffic.

Wow thats original. It also does not make sense, how will I hear anything from the headphones if I am deaf?

If you've nothing useful to contribute please go play with traffic.
I worked on vehicle noise for 15 years. Once noise is in a monolithic structure, it is very difficult to do anything about it. You could build yourself a quiet room, but that would need to be completely isolated from the building. I'm sorry, but your main option IS ear plugs (or noise cancelling headphones), with their health risks. Also, deafness is rarely absolute; in my right ear it is about -20dB. That is not bad enough for a hearing aid as it is still in the 'normal' range. It is a darn sight more than you'd achieve with 'sticking plaster' sound proofing.

Be warned, soundproofing claims often ignore low frequencies and focus on intelligible speech (around 1kHz). They do that because low frequencies from impact noise are a sod to treat. I've put in an acoustic partition between a bathroom and a bedroom. It helps but it doesn't make it silent. Impact noise is usually dealt with at source - putting in resilient floor coverings in other properties.

OK I understand, sorry I am a little irritable from chronic lack of sleep.

Actually I can see an advantage to being totally deaf, and just have a hearing aid I can switch on and off.

What method did you use to build your partition?

What method did you use to build your partition?
I used 70mm acoustuds and two layers of 12.5mm plasterboard on each side with 25mm of acoustic mineral wool in between. I would have got a few more dB if I'd used Soundbloc but flanking noise was always going to be a problem, so I didn't think it was worth it. I was only trying to reduce plumbing noise and not impact noise though.

There are damping layers you can stick between the plasterboard. The trouble is that the wavelength of low frequencies is too long for this to be very effective for impact noise.

My niece in Sweden has a terrace house and there is a 300mm cavity between properties - no good for a compact flat. :(

I too am looking at reducing the amount of neighbour noise I can hear, in my tiny victorian house where space is at a premium.

Angrysmurf - what solution did you go with in the end and did it work? I'm currently bamboozled by the options.

Has anyone else got any product experiences to share (for walls)? What worked, what didn't?

I only need to reduce some low TV noise, and the sound of my neighbour, who even when she's talking 'normally' has got a voice like a f*cking foghorn.

The walls are brick, currently with 2.5cm of old (possibly lime?) plaster, which I'm in the process of taking off. Not sure whether to replaster or if the soundproof boards can go directly onto the bare brick?

Been shirking around a while so thought I'd join up!

I'm also looking at soundproofing an internal party wall as we can hear to some degree our neighbors...

I've read good reports on M20AD - but its dam expensive!

Also I'm wondering how much better is M20AD over say a crumb rubber carpet underlay such as duralay System 10 which is 10mm thick dam heavy and made from the same stuff as M20AD recycled car tyres... its alot cheaper to.

So I'm wondering if I did two layers of System 10 and two layers of 12.5mm acoustic plasterboard what the performance would be like.

Anyone here tried M20AD ? or bonded System 10 to a wall! ? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back