Safety question for hanging acoustic plasterboard to ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm making a soundproof recording studio and will be fitting a double layer of acoustic plasterboard (19mm high density planc and 12.5mm soundbloc) to all walls and the ceiling...

They will be fitted to resilient bars, which in turn are attached to the ceiling joists via Genie Clips:

genieceiling2.jpg

The pasterboard is bloody heavy, especially in 2 layers, and all I'll be screwing it to is the thin aluminum resilient bars (about 1mm thick).

Also, the resilient bars just slot into the Genie Clips like this...

Again, it doesn't look much to hold up all that weight.

Having never worked with acoustic materials, I'm probably being overly cautious but the studio will be hired out so it has to be safe. Just looking for some reassurance or advice.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't use genie clips for that load. The manufacturer's don't give a safe loading but they do produce typical arrangements - none of which include loads anything like what you are planning to use. Where they recommend higher density boards and multiple layers they specify a different product - which I must confess I've never come across.

Personally I would use a screw-fixed resilient bar. e.g. Lafarge RBD3000 or similar. In terms of sound attenuation the connection of the res bar possibly isn't as good as the genie connection but the bar itself is much better than the genie type bar - so I don't think there would be that much sound reduction difference between the two products.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back