Ceiling Acoustic insulation solutions, Iso-Max, GenieClip etc.

Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) is my next thought, a 2mm thick layer is 5kg/m2 so that sandwiched between two different thicknesses of acoustic plasterboard would give a good mix of materials & densities to reduce the noise from above.

I think that stuff is best when it is like a curtain, hanging with air gaps either side in a wall. Might not do much in a ceiling. Not that I’ve ever used it!

Do the rockwool + RB + one layer of soundblock (plus mastic around the edges) and see what you think. If it’s still terrible, consider fancy materials; otherwise just add the second layer of PB and you’re done.

Sponsored Links
Definitely put in two screws if possible or a thicker screw like a ten instead of an 8 or even a 12! I'm using the bar on a wall I'm just hoping 3x2 is going to take all that weight. It should do. I don't want to use 4x2 as it will be taking up that bit more room. The ceiling I'm battening out with 2x1. The joys of diy. Here's to hoping it works and it's worth all the hassle

Quick progress update (progress being slow due to only being able to work in the evenings!)

I started the resilient bar install after the 100mm of RW3 insulation between the ceiling joists. I opted for the acoustic foam between the bar & bottom of the joist. Luckily the foam is self adhesive but it still takes a bit of time to mark the bar with the joist positions and stick the foam on before screwing up the bar.

As mentioned by another poster, the resulting extra impact noise reduction might be minimal but every little helps. Even though there is a screw directly into the joist, the foam will hopefully have a damping effect and reduce it vs directly touching the bottom of the joist.

Even though the plasterboard isn't on yet, the room is already noticeably warmer & certainly can't hear as much airborne noise!

Next job is to sort out plasterboard, current plan is either 12.5mm+15mm Soundbloc at a combined 23.2 kg/m2 or the same thickness in Knauf Soundshield which combined is slightly more mass at 25.8 kg/m2. I'll probably ditch the mass loaded vinyl between plasterboard sheets having done the acoustic foam now.

IMG_3281.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1f70.jpeg

Sponsored Links
British Gypsum Homespec book or online give specifications for soundproofing new and existing ceilings and walls with sound reduction values for each system.

I have done a similar project (looks almost the same with your picture) in my relevantly low ceiling bedroom to insulate from the above flat's living room. After, attaching the resilient bars:

I also added isolation tape under along each resilient bar:
https://www.insulationshop.co/50mm_acoustic_isolating_strip.html

Then I used 12 mm acoustic plasterboard with a layer of Tecsound 50, self adhesive, on top:
https://www.soundstop.co.uk/ZTECSO50.php

The good thing with the Tecsound 50 was that I managed to cut it 2 inches longer on the edges of the board so as to overlap with the next board.

The flat above had carpets with a basic carpet underpay. The results were very good but still in the silence of the night I could slightly hear the TV upstairs.

If you could go for double plasterboard with a rubber sheet sandwiched between that would be better. If you could cross-fit the two plasterboard layers with the rubber mat overlapping the joints, that would be even better.

PS: later on, when they did some renovation on the flat above, I asked them to install an airborne and impact soundproof rubber underlay under their new carpet and share the cost. The results were amazing!! Never had a noise problem even in the complete silence of the night...My only concern is the load on the ceiling joists since lot of weight was added on both sides...that is why i did not go for double acoustic plasterboard...

There is a lot of guessing going on with this topic . Makes no difference to me but , as I said , British Gypsum give details of various systems for acoustic insulation to reduce airborne and impact sound for walls and floors which have been tested with results given as decibel reduction figures. Useful if you are looking for a system to comply with Building Regulations .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back