Acoustic ceiling solutions? Suspended? Sound insulation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

The shop I am renovating (read, rebuilding) has a flat above that I don't own (I have the freehold and the flat is on a long lease). I currently have the shop stripped back to bricks and joists. Soon it will be time to board the ceilings (with TWO layers of fireboard according to Building Control).

Before I do this I want/have to insulate. The flat upstairs has many creaking floorboards, and the tenants are none to quiet. Can anyone suggest any ways forward?

I don't have alot of height to play with so having a fully suspended ceiling is not really an option . . .someone mentioned something called an MK system?, sounded ideal (a metal bracket that held the plasterboard away from the joist a little) but I can't find it on the internet . . .

What type of insulation should I be looking at?

Help!

thanks !

Huey

Sponsored Links
You want the dense accoustic rockwool that comes in blocks rather than on a roll and the bars you are looking for are called resilliant bars, do a search for them and it should throw the right things up.

You want the dense accoustic rockwool that comes in blocks rather than on a roll and the bars you are looking for are called resilliant bars, do a search for them and it should throw the right things up.
Yes, that is probably all the you can do. The other part of the acoustic treatment would be to the floor in the flat to reduce impact noise. However, it sounds like that won't be possible. As the freeholder, you might be able to force the upgrade to current regulations on the leaseholder. It could be worth checking.

http://www.british-gypsum.com/pdf/SB07_GypFloor SILENT_02.pdf

I think you must seal the edges with intumescent acoustic sealer. The requirement for 2 layers of plasterboard sounds like a 60 minute fire rating, suggesting there are inadequate escape routes in the flat above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back