Flat conversion - Suspended ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a project coming up to convert a workshop/office into two flat (ground and first floor)

I want to create a fully independent suspended ceiling on the ground floor to accommodate the sound and heat insulation. Along with electrical cables and pipework.

Ceiling height = 3m
Length = 7.8m
Width = 6.3m

Open plan i.e. no supporting walls

See drawing of proposed suspended ceiling:-

My plan:-

1) Attach a 6.30m timber I beam with joist hangers across the centre of the room

2) Place timber battens on walls to support new ceiling joists

3) Attach new timber joist(3.90m) to the I beam and the timber battens at 600mm intervals.

4) Cover new ceiling with two layers of plasterboard[/img]

My Question:-

Is this best solution?
What size timber should I use for the ceiling joists? They will be a dead weight, just supporting themselves, rockwool and 2 layers of plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
Monsoon,
Have you thought about using suspended ceiling with insulated ceiling tiles? A lot cheaper, quicker and easier for service etc. Done a few of these under the garages with room above
url

jbonding said:
talk to BCO im sure your gonna have to if you go ahead with your plans ;)

It's a material change of use, so the BCO will certainly need to know what I plan to do.

It really can't be that hard to ascertain the size of timber required to hold up the plasterboad?

I seen a number of tables on the web but they all factor in an 'imposed load' i.e. us humans and all the other stuff we put on our floor.

My new suspended ceiling just needs to take a 'dead weight' ie. itself

Sponsored Links
masona said:
Monsoon,
Have you thought about using suspended ceiling with insulated ceiling tiles? A lot cheaper, quicker and easier for service etc. Done a few of these under the garages with room above

I pretty much discarded the tile look as I want to plasterboad - it's going to be residential flat.

Are you going to allow access to the void for mainentance, also what will the void size be?

Static said:
Are you going to allow access to the void for mainentance, also what will the void size be?

The void will be approx 300mm. This will give me plenty of space to buffer the sound and run plasic pipework and wires.

No plans to allow access to the void

Your looking at 150x50 ceiling joists with something in the region of 406dp TJI joist as main central beam or 2No 306's or maybe a paralam beam. Thats assuming no access to the void.

Static said:
Your looking at 150x50 ceiling joists with something in the region of 406dp TJI joist as main central beam or 2No 306's or maybe a paralam beam. Thats assuming no access to the void.

Cheers Static that exactly the kind of info I need.

150X50 would it be just sawn timber? How much do you think the cost of materials will be for the job?

145x47 C16 timbers should be available at any local timber merchants. No idea on costs.

Why have a new supporting timber structure? You must have the existing ceiling to hang off of so would this be a solution or perhaps this

Static said:
145x47 C16 timbers should be available at any local timber merchants. No idea on costs.

Having a look on the Building reg tables it says:- http://66.249.93.104/search?q=cache..._walls.htm+c16+joist&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=2

47 x 147 mm a span of 2.61m with 600mm spacing

Now that is factoring in an imposed load of upto 1.5 kN/sq.m. and a dead load of upto 0.5 kN/sq.m.

I'm not sure how I would calculate the kN/sq.m. of my suspended ceiling but I would have thought around 0.25 kN/sq.m. :rolleyes:

Surely if that is the case I can get away with much smaller timber joists? I do have an extra 1.2m span maybe only 1/10th of the load.

Monsoon, we posted at the same time, did you read my post?
Roofer said:
Why have a new supporting timber structure? You must have the existing ceiling to hang off of so would this be a solution or perhaps this

Roofer said:

I have not ruled this out as an option.

Although my mind is not made up, the reason why I was leaning *away* from a metal suspended ceiling is:-

1. I would need access to to the existing floor joists to attach the metal supports. At the moment it is double plaster boarded. Leaving it undisturbed will give me added sound insulation, create less work and mess.

2. I've repeatedly read that the best solution for sound insulation is to create a totally independent ceiling. The metal will create an attachments to the joists above. I'm sure the sound transmission will be small but nevertheless it's not not totally independent.

3. I don't have any experience of working with these metal frames and no idea of cost to cover some 50m2 of ceiling. Wood just seems like a simple structually sounds solution.

145x47 C16 @ 400c/c with a dead loading of 0.6kN/m2 can span 3.9m, as i said before thats with 0 live load. Your whole idea will be a little springy and your looking at about 6-10mm deflection in places, but thats within acceptable limits (just) and there is no live loading to create cracks.
A less flexible option would be 170x47 members @ 400 centres (also will get passed by building regs easier).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back