Loft space ceiling joist structural support – best practise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to take out a 1st floor brick wall which provides support to the ceiling joists. I would prefer to put the replacement structural support in the loft space.

I am thinking of timber binders in joist hangers off the party walls (terraced house) with timber hangers to each ceiling joist.

I am ok on structural brickwork practise but not structural timber.

Would appreciate the gist on best practise to provide the support

Particularly interested in method to attach the timber hangers to the joists/binders ie nailplates/straps or bolted timber connectors and use of joist hangers as opposed to encast in the wall.

Sponsored Links
Best practice would be to take the advice of the Building Inspector, who has to be involved legally when structural walls are being altered or removed

and as BIs are occasionally clueless....pay for a visit from a qualified structural engineer.

thanks and1c

the emphasis is truly on "the gist" - i was hoping for a simple english description of how it would be done by the best.

This wouldn't be a problem

After working out a suitably sized beam as the 'binder', use some long 'speedy' hangers down to the joists. You can usually flatten the hangers and slide them under the joists, then bend them back up again.

Sponsored Links
thanks woody,

i can see this working.

found a pic of the long speedy hanger via google and sliding under ea joist will be no prob.

feel i'm now sorted – just the head ht in the loft to check for getting the 3.7m binders in.

for info the work is under building notice and structural calcs will be obtained if the work proceeds.

Be aware though, that the wall you remove may be giving lateral support to other walls, even your neighbours (if you have any) Of course the engi will note all of this.

BCO's are not here to do design or the tell people what beams to put in the loft etc.

Its up to the homeowner to tell the BCO what they are going to do and the BCO to tell them if it is acceptable

this job went ahead and worked well

woody thanks for your help - appreciated

i had to take part of the ceiling down at it was latted and could not slide the hangers underneath. other than that spot on job.

3 off 11”x3” by 3.7m lg timber joists went into the loft which made things interesting in terms of squeezing them in – mm’s to spare

will get a better pic inside the loft area.

this gives the general gist - joist hangers showing in top left area.

joist_hangers.jpg
[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back