Roof joists noggin spacing pls?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having a small extension built, the flat "warm roof" joists are hung from 3 timbers (190mmx45mm) bolted together in place in a wall slot, then hangers attached and the joists attached.
The joist spacing is 450mm and the span 3mtr.

To stop the joists twisting over time and ruining any ceiling what would be the recomended spacing for noggins assuming they are of the same timber as the joists?

View media item 14008 View media item 14009

Sponsored Links
1 line of noggins mid span will be plenty.

and truss clips.

There is just a few nails holding the joists to the wall plate on the other side, oh and a warm roof on top so you dont think I need a second row of noggins about 6" in from the wall plate?
Think it needs vertical restraint straps too...

All roofs should have holding down straps every 2m. These should be 1m long bent straps fixed to the wall plate and the wall.

No need for additional bracing mid-span will be plenty.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I will be asking for vertical restraint straps to be fitted and mid way full depth noggins.
The joists are skew nailed to the wall plate so too late for truss clips I think, maybe I will add some myself once he has finished as its a shell job so plenty of time for me to get in there later.

Skew nails will be more than man enough. In fact better than any truss clips, so forget these. It seems as though you are over egging due to inexperience.

Wack a couple of 4" galv' skewed nails into the timber then try and pull the joist off! Not a chance. ;)

ok ta Noseall, inexperianced yes, but wanting to be sure its all ok before the plasterboard goes on as its too late afterwards :)

My bco wouldnt notice if it wasnt nailed at all, I thought they were strict but my first experiance of them is that you could get anything past this one. He came and looked at the trenches for the footings, missed the sub base visit, looked at the rainwater drains and took all of 5mins to view the roof joist arrangement from the path and was then gone.
Money for old rope. I was hoping he would act as a sort safety net for iffy building work but seems I was wrong there.
Must go look up "inspection" in the dictionary as Im sure I have the meaning of the word wrong.

Just found this list of "needed inspections"

# Foundation excavations -yes
# Foundation concrete laid -yes & rainwater drains
# Oversite hardcore -No
# Damp proof course-No
# Drains & private sewers -Not yet
# Testing drains & private sewers -Not yet

But did view the roof joists as above :rolleyes:

Building control have no remit over quality issues.

I understand that, but they do have a remit to ensure that whats there complies with building regs as best as they can see at each visit dont they. If not then what are they coming on site for?

I think a good BCO knows whether the builder is doing a good job within 10 seconds, and will only inspect more if he suspects more

The whole inspection regime is flawed, but you have to be lucky or very crafty to get crap work passed, and it is wrong to think that the average BCO is not inspecting

Having said that, some BCO's do clearly take the p*** with poor inspections :rolleyes:

Much of the fault lies in that the public are not fully advised of the role of the BCO. Many think he is there to inspect the work and tell the homeowner if the builder is doing a good job or not.

I think the LA's purposely play along with this to an extent to their own advantage of keeping inspection work from the private sector and to ensure that as much work which should be controlled is notified. But as soon as TSHTF, they are the first to say "Oh no, we don't inspect that"

It does not need Isaac Newton to realise that a skew nailed joist would need a hydraulic jack to part it from the wall plate. But, as long as the timbers are the correct size and that they are connected, then bc have done their job.

You are getting confused with the interpretation of reg's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back