Ledger plate Smaller than Joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 5x2 timbers bolted to the steel beams that the roof joists will fix to. 5x2 is the biggest timber that will fit within the beam. The SE has specified 8x2 joists. The joists will span from the steel and then sit on a wall plate at the other end.

Is it acceptable for a joist to be hung from a timber that is smaller than the joist? I assume teh jiffy hanger just drops below the ledger board?

Sponsored Links
Yes with anti-twist noggins or struts, and as long as the hangers are suitable - ie every hole can be fixed .. which jiffy hangers may not allow.

So noggins throughout to prevent twisting (i was planning to do this to strengthen it anyway).

I can seem to see hangers specifically for this situation. I was planning on using <these> Looking at the literature it appears to say that a minimum of 6 holes each side to be nailed. I would nail each hole that sits over teh ledger which would be far more than 12 nails.

Does that sound correct?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back