Securing timber to brick - best practice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to strengthen the loft joists. They are 4x2 and run from gable end to a riff truss and then to a supporting wall half way across the room. Where the joists meet the roof truss in the center of the room I have used 38mm joist hangers.

My question is how to support the joists at the gable end as a traditional joist hanger I can't just nail into brick. My plan is yo therefore secure a length of timber to the brick gable end and then secure the joist hangers to this timber.

Do you think this will be strong enough and strengthen the ceiling sufficiently do I can store light storage up there? ....also what is the best way to secure the timber to the brick?

Sponsored Links
The best way would be to mark out a line centred on the bricks and drill every 2' or so and use use one of the polyester resin fixing setups, basically "glueing" in studs which stick out say 3". When the resin has gone off drill your timber and nut it on. You could use all metal rawlbolts but they could crack the bricks. See www.screwfix.com for a variety of fixings available.
Frank

Thank you Frank. I'll look I to this.

My house is a 1890 Victorian house with soft bricks and 9 holes in each brick so they do crack easily when drilled into. That's my only concern

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back