Joist hanger tag correct fixing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've bought some timber to timber joist hangers bigger then this one, but they have the same tab on the back.
I couldn't find any reference as to what to do with them so I'm left to guess as Google didn't help.
http://www.joisthangers.co/mini_mini_joist_hanger_38mm_x_72mm.html
mm-joist-hanger-38-x-72mm-90x90.jpg

1. Nail into the underside of the adjacent joist if it's at the right level, if not
  2. Bend down and nail to the face of the supporting timber
  3. Bend up and nail to the end grain of the hung joist
  4. Bend up and nail into the supporting timber
In the end I went for 3 to make it easy to level, and it seems secure enough, but I'd like to know the correct way.

Sponsored Links
Unbent as that's the way it was designed to be used.

Nails in end grain don't work very well. So number 2 would be second best if I could not get a different hanger.

Unbent as that's the way it was designed to be used.

Nails in end grain don't work very well. So number 2 would be second best if I could not get a different hanger.
Thanks Tom.
So why they say "This tag can easily be bent" on the page? Or is that actually a warning to say be careful when using the hanger as you'll ruin it otherwise?

Sponsored Links
Thanks both, So I'll just bend down as suggested, now I think about it more, it makes sense, I was just being confused by the technical lumps of metal:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back