Suspended ceiling - attaching to masonry?

rhk

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add a suspended ceiling to my downstairs WC, to cover some pipes. General suggestion seems to be to run batten round the perimeter of the room, then use joist hangers to hang ceiling joists across the shorter length (1.5m) at 600mm intervals, and plasterboard. All makes sense.

Couple of questions
- I'm guessing the weakest point is going to be attaching the battens to the wall. Any suggestion for fixings? e.g. regular plugs and screws? What spacing do i need for the fixings?
- If i'm going to use hangers for the joists, whats the value of using battens? could i just nail the joist hangers directly to the masonry walls?

thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
I need to add a suspended ceiling to my downstairs WC, to cover some pipes. General suggestion seems to be to run batten round the perimeter of the room, then use joist hangers to hang ceiling joists across the shorter length (1.5m) at 600mm intervals, and plasterboard. All makes sense.

Couple of questions
- I'm guessing the weakest point is going to be attaching the battens to the wall. Any suggestion for fixings? e.g. regular plugs and screws? What spacing do i need for the fixings?
- If i'm going to use hangers for the joists, whats the value of using battens? could i just nail the joist hangers directly to the masonry walls?

thanks
Steve
100mm - 6’s….7mm drill bit…..brown rawl plugs

• Thanks
Reactions: rhk
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back