Masonry joist Hangers - How to?

And when the house is sold, buyers and mortgage lenders will wish to avoid a property with unapproved alterations.

Sponsored Links
But the alterations are being done for storage not a living space. I don't think approval for that, yes i may be strengthening the floor with the joists and have a loft ladder but there will be no window. So i don't see what is so dodgy about what I'm doing, maybe an overkill but certainly not dodgy.

As for lenders/buyers I believe the same will apply, they will be able to see the space is for storage and not a bedroom. Plus we have no plans on moving out for a very long time.

No, as stated above it will be used fir storage. At a later point in years to come a dormer can be added and solid stairs can be added.

Sponsored Links
No, as stated above it will be used fir storage. At a later point in years to come a dormer can be added and solid stairs can be added.

What's currently holding the roof up?

Trusses? Purlins and struts?

It's a death trap because of the loft ladder?
Death trap because there isn't adequate means of escape.

No one goes to the trouble of fitting new joists, insulation, plaster and paint, just so that they can put the Christmas decorations up there. :rolleyes:

Well the loft had Osb boards installed once upon a time, I have stood on them and they have snapped. The joists are to create a floor with 22mm plywood which will be stronger.

Yes it's a little unusual but I can later get permission to have a dormer installed and stair connecting to my current stairs.

I should maybe create a thread with the progress as I go along.

Well the loft had Osb boards installed once upon a time, I have stood on them and they have snapped. The joists are to create a floor with 22mm plywood which will be stronger.
It was more the "insulation, plaster and paint", that convinced me. (y)

Why is the insulation, plaster and paint dodgy? Am I doing something wrong here or you thinking it's a bit much for a storage loft?

Yes it's a little unusual but I can later get permission to have a dormer installed and stair connecting to my current stairs.

The reality is, you'd almost certainly have to remove/exposure virtually everything you put in to have it passed by building control if you were to carry out a loft conversion in the future - floor up, plasterboard stripped off, likely new steels including ridge beam to carry a dormer, additional floor joists to form the opening for the stairs, possibly changes to insulation requirements etc.

From a technical point of view, running new joists above and perpendicular to the existing costs you headroom and makes the stairs more difficult - that's why they usually run front to back.

I don't know whether I'm trying to put you off or not, all I would say (having started with the same idea on my own loft a few years ago - a bit of storage, and ending up with with a fully approved two bedroom conversion) is that with hindsight I wouldn't progress beyond some (hopefully) suitably sized joists and a bit of loosely fixed flooring until I'd decided I was going for a proper conversion.

A full on loft conversion is not on my mind at the moment and don't think it will be for a long time to come. Yes a lot will have to come up but I'm OK with that, with the current situation the floorboards are breaking when in them, they're nit very strong at all. Hence why I'm creating another floor losing some space in height but once done I know I will be ok to walk and store items without worrying about the floor breaking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back