jiffy joist hangers on masonry

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am renovating and I am replacing floor joists in an old extension. The masonry is in good condition. I am fitting 8x2 joists to get a good firm floor for tiling.

Can I hang the joists off the masonry with long legged jiffy hangers plugged and screwed into the masonry.

If I can't do this what is the generally accepted practice?

The brick work isn't at the right level for a normal masonry joist to be used.

regards Will

Sponsored Links
can you fix a length of the 8*2 to the wall then hang the joists of this with the joist hangers.

thanks for the suggestion - that would be possible but that would mean fixing the timer to the masonry below the dpc. By using joist hangers I get to avoid that direct contact of wood onto potentially damp masonry

can you fix dpm to the back of it or wrap it up with dpm, maybe use smaller timber to fix to the walls, also wrap the ends of your floor joists with dpm.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't hang them straight off of jiffies rawplugged into the wall,dont forget that the end grain of any wood is the area most likely to start any infestation with damp,one way around it is to use bat hangers( http://www.expamet.co.uk/bp/products/batsph.htm ),if you do decide to put a length of 8x2 or similar on the wall like Jbonding suggests,why not run some DPC behind it,between the timber and the wall,this is a method recommended in many damp prone areas.
Hope this helps
SDC

Thanks JBonding and SD Carps. You're right - the jiffys won't work for the same damp reason unless they are the blind type. I think I'll fix a length of timber at each end lined with a dpm as JBonding suggested and hang the joists off these.
Cheers chaps, seems obvious now!

Can you not build a sleeper wall with 4"x2" wallplate on top for your floor joists to rest on, a better solid floor this way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back