TIMBER WALL BEARER & JIFFYS OR MASONARY HANGERS??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the best practice for supporting first floor joist work on a new extension, the size of the 1st floor extension is 7 metres length X 2 metres width which expands the existing rooms upstairs (bath & bed) rather than creating new ones meaning the joists have to be spot level!
Joists will be 2 metres long 8x2 sitting in the span of a steel external end and the question is do we use a timber bearer 8x2 and jiffys or cut in masonary hangers?
Its a 1930's solid wall rendered house.
Common sense tells me masonary hangers are probably stronger while the timber bearer would be easier to level.
Any preferences out there?

Sponsored Links
build in hangers is my preference.normally the joist hanger is sligtly shorter than the joist and you cut a small section of joist out(from underneath) so the plasterboard runs past the hanger without a bump so you can pack them as required to level your floor.

Thanks for the reply Chukka, as its an existing wall we would be hanging them off i guess we would need to grind a slot or hopefully have a level mortar joint behind the render.

Sponsored Links
if its rendered you want to cut a small section off and try and find a mortar joint and use that if possible as you have a little rome to maenovre if you need to.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back