Joist hangers

M

marsaday

I have spoken about this before, but want some opinions if possible.

I will be making a new floor in the attic and will be using the party and gable walls to build off. the engineer says it is much better to use masonry joist hangers, rather than using a timber wall plate bolted to it. it will be much stronger if i do individual bolted hangers to the wall. Slower, but stronger. i am not bothered by time and want to do what is the best for my floor.

Is it better to use individual joist hangers bolted independently or is a wall plate just as good?

Sponsored Links
Your architect may be referring tom the build-in type, possibly?

picture

i am not sure really. he just mentioned they bolt to the wall. and if a fixing fails then there are 3 others or more to hold it in place.

I wouldn't have thought that a wall plate would be inferior if done properly. Maybe his just covering himself as you are not a pro and he might be worried that you'd skimp on the fixings or summat?

Bolt a wall plate every 500mm with M16 bolts and fix the joists to it using hangers wrapped over and nailed in and it won't fail. At all.

Sponsored Links
"the engineer" might be taking some lateral wall support into the joists.. he specify any wall straps?

no wall straps.
I wouldnt see an issue with using a wall plate, just ensure its properly fixed down with some angle brackets or nail plates (and noggins etc)..

Course its your engineers PI and changing the design should be agreed with him

no wall straps.
I wouldnt see an issue with using a wall plate, just ensure its properly fixed down with some angle brackets or nail plates (and noggins etc)..

not sure what you mean by the above. are you saying i should add angle brackets to this wall plate ? if so would you do this from below. if so i would struggle as the ceiling joists are in the way.

Wal plate usually means a timber that sits on top of the wall that roof members sit on top of. You are referring to a timber bolted to a wall, often also called wall plate but not quite the same thing. Ledger plate? wall bearer? can't remember if it has a proper name offhand.

Anyway, either will work. Timber plate or hangers bolted in.

As Deluks says i was refering to the wall plate that the ceiling joists probably sit on..

If your bolting a plate to the wall well its more a detailing issue really, if the plate is below the joists it may be visible within the room below unless you have a suspended ceiling, or face fixing the joists which is nice and simple just have to avoid the bolts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back