Joist hangers on external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Anyone offer a bit of advice on what joist hangers to use here please? I am trying to place some joist hangers on a standard brick external wall to lay beams on, creating sort of like an attached pergola.

A lot of the masonry to timber joist hangers seem to have a ledge that goes into the brickwork. How do you fit these as you can't get in between bricks to fire shot pins in? A lot of the ones I've seen don't have holes in the metalwork as an alternative. I'm aiming to keep them as non intrusive as possible.

Also, is the best way to clear cement from brickwork by drill and chisel would you say?

Cheers for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Clearing mortar out small cold chisel, sds chisel, masonry wheel on a angle grinder.

I believe joist hangers are cast into the bed joint. The only other way I have seen them fitted is timber wall plate as mentioned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back