New joists, existing wall: Built in, or wallplate and hangers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking to put a floor deck into my garage to make a storage space above it. One end of the joist will be resting on top of a dividing wall, the other has to get support from an existing double skin engineering brick wall, higher than the joist level. I think my choices are thus:

Masonry hangers
Bolt a timber onto the wall and use timber hangers
Cut holes in the wall and rest the joist ends on the brick

I haven't seen anywhere that says masonry hangers can be used on an existing wall as the advice seems to be that they're built in when the wall is going up, so I think they're out. I'm leaning towards the bolted timber route, but it may also be relevant that the mortar in this wall is lime and pounding it with a large sds drill does loosen the brick slightly in places like where windows and doors have been installed. Hopefully this would be less of an issue mid wall

At some point in the future, I'd like to widen a 1m doorway to 3m, underneath where the joists will hang, if this has any bearing (excuse the pun). There will be a metre or so of brickwork between where the joists attach and the lintel for the door

Sponsored Links
You can use hangers no problem.

Lime mortar makes no difference to use of a drill.

E'ver or i'ver

When I install my ceiling joists I shall be bolting a timber to the existing wall and fitting hangers to that. Seems the easiest way to me.

Sometimes it can be better to bolt a timber if the coursing is not level as it saves messing with the hangers or notching the joists. But for a garage store, it may not matter. Put a level or line across and have a look.

If you end up bolting a timber, then it's easier to fit the hangers to it while it's on the ground. Mark the bolts first though.

Sponsored Links
+1 to using a bearer plate bolted to the wall
did mine on my own in a morning, I think I would have found it harder doing it any other way and messier

If the other end is unrestrained and just sat on the wall, I would probably err on the side of a bolted wall plate and jiffys rather than masonry hangers

The other end would have to have noggins anyway to keep the joists in place. And maybe struts or more noggings in the mid span depending how long they are. But I guess you're thinking end to end movement there.

yep meant end to end, masonry hanger rely to a certain extent on pressure to hold them in.

Technically (to make the BCO happy) the end of the joist that is "sat on a wall" needs to be secured to the wall to lend it some lateral restraint so the bolted timber route might be more appropriate. I'll also look to fix a wall plate to the top of the wall then the joists can be nailed to it, rather than concrete screwing every joist

Thanks guys

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back