How do I replace a suspended ceiling in basement flat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am after instructions on how to replace a suspended ceiling in a basement flat (square panel type found in offices) I would like to remove all the tin frame work holding the suspended ceiling and nail plasterboard directly onto the joists. I'm guessing the suspended ceiling was put in as it was cheaper than making a level ceiling with plasterboard. I think there is old fibre board currently nailed to the joists behind the suspended ceiling. There is not a great deal of height so I wanted to avoid constructing a level frame for the plasterboard just below the existing joists. Is there a way of leveling old joists (eg by adding wood to underside) to make level for plasterboard? Also can I use a very thin ~ 6mm plasterboard to give me a bit more room height?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back