false ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put up a false ceiling at a height of 8ft in my kitchen (existing is at 9ft). This ceiling will hide new heating pipes, new electrics and extraction ducting, as well as enabling me to more easily fit LED downlights (existing ceiling is Lath and plaster). I really, really dont want to remove the whole existing ceiling because of the mess and the job of making good and levelling the existing joists for new plasterboard. The ceiling will be damaged by the plumbing work I'm having done too.

How should I approach this? The ceiling will be finished in skimmed plasterboard. The kitchen is about 3.6m x 4.8m. What is the maximum joist spacing acceptable for plasterboard? How should I secure the framework? Would it be best fixed to the walls? Or suspended from the existing ceiling? If I span the 3.6 length with joists what size timber should I use?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Is this the sort of thing they use in commercial jobs?

Is it easy to get hold of? I have seen metal studs before, but not this. Cheers. Oh, and would this be cheaper than timber?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back