Ceiling insulation ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a downstairs flat which doesnt seem to hold the heat much! I have suspended ceiling in the b/r, bathroom and kitchen (wood) there is a cavity of prob 5/6 " between this and original ceiling, can i install some insulation in this space? It would be a bonus if it dulled sound too as even the sound of a sneeze carries from above : -)
thanks, jeanette

Sponsored Links
You could but I assume you have electrical cable in the ceiling/floor void.
Insulation effects the current carrying capacity of the cable as it restricts the dissipation of heat from them. So you must account for this, generally lighting circuits are okay, but other power and socket circuits will be an issue.

Depending on your door architrave, or shape of the room etc, you might find using insulated plasterboard to the ceiling easier to install, means you don't have to open anything up, and it will help slightly with sound. Also means you don't have to worry about any cables or cutting of plasteboard to get into the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back