Suspended ceiling help!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am considering installing a wooden grid suspended ceiling in the bathroom and the bedroom (current ceiling height of 2730mm) and would ideally like incorporate both fire and sound insulation into both as well as 6x (mains rated) down lighters in the bathroom. The finish would be two layers of plasterboard going in opposite directions.

I am aware that there are complications with putting insulation and recessed lights into a suspended ceiling void and was wondering if anyone on here had any good ideas how to incorporate all of the above requirements (fire & sound insulation and down lighters) whilst meeting current building regulations.

Being a competent ‘DIY’ person I will be carrying out the works myself so any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated as this is my first time installing a suspended ceiling. If there are more economical/safer ways of dropping a ceiling than using a wooden grid with plaster board finish then I am open to suggestion.

Thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
I am aware that there are complications with putting insulation and recessed lights into a suspended ceiling void and was wondering if anyone on here had any good ideas how to incorporate all of the above requirements (fire & sound insulation and down lighters) whilst meeting current building regulations.

What regulations do you think apply to your ceilings ? e.g. Is this part of a scheme to deal with the separation of Flats in a building?

Sorry, wasn't very clear there. It is my understanding that fire and sound insulation may be required in new conversions (not my flat as it was converted sometime ago) to flats but I really want to stop noise transfer from above (as it's very loud) and whilst I am doing it I wan't to put in fire insulation as well (mainly for peace of mind).

Any ideas on good insulation products that cover both sound and fire? not too bothered about thickness of material as ceilings are high

Sponsored Links
I really want to stop noise transfer from above (as it's very loud) and whilst I am doing it I wan't to put in fire insulation as well (mainly for peace of mind).

Your "suspended" ceiling really would be best constructed with new ceiling joists spanning the room and not connected directly to the old ceiling/floor above. i.e. use joist hangers into the walls. After that, what you use is dependant on your budget. There are specialst sound insulation boards, but they are not cheap! The combination of what mountain walker is suggesting and double boarded plasterboard should make quite a difference to structure borne sound. Your downlighters will unfortunately offset that improvement to a degree.

You could have LED down-lights ( expensive for good ones ) and then there would be next to no heat build-up.

In order to minimise sound-transfer and keep insulation off the lights, build a box out of plaster board and put it on top of the hole over the lights. Seal the box onto the ceiling pb with a mastic to keep noise out.

Thanks for the useful tips guys, all really helpful. Please keep them coming!!

Sounds like a good idea to use joist hangers off of the walls as hopfully it will be even better with regards to sound than hanging the roof off of the joists.

I'm going to draw up some ideas now and I'll post them on here when I've finished them, would be good to get your opinions on them.

Cheers[/img][/list]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back