Acoustic ceiling - to decouple a wall, or build a new one??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’m planning on fitting an independent ceiling to my bedroom to limit noise from above. The existing joists are small, so the easiest solution is to keep the existing ceiling in place, hang new joists and take it from there. I’m only doing the bedroom due to cost and loss of ceiling height.
I’m in an old Victorian school and have 3 solid and mostly external walls around the room. The fourth wall is a stud wall with a bathroom (fully tiled, but I have spares) on the other side and a doorway into the corridor.

There are definite flanking noise issues down this wall and I was thinking of ways to decouple it from the existing ceiling.

Questions:

• Would it be possible to slice the top of the stud wall off and run the new ceiling to the far side of the wall? The problem then would be how to reattach it to the old ceiling on the bathroom side without undoing all the isolation work.

I presume the alternative is to construct an isolated wall and deepen the current doorway. But then won’t the vibration just come down the old wall and transmit along the floor and the doorframe? How much depth would I lose (assuming two layers of acoustic board)?

Any advise, experience, ideas etc most welcome. Please let me know if a sketch would help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back