stud wall under low ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I'm hoping to build a small stud wall in a room where the plasterboard ceiling from floorboard is about 2065mm.

The new wall will have a door and from the calculations I've done it seems I could either cut the door back by about 15mm. Or I could cut out a bit more of the old plasterboard ceiling and fix my top plate directly to the noggins.

The existing plasterboard has already been removed close to the wall on one side so it would only be a bit more to remove but I'm not sure if it would be easier to fit a smaller frame and then chop the door or fix the top plate direct to the ceiling joists/noggins?

EDIT: 2065 not 1065 !! (And tried to make it clearer)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
A door lining will fit in that height wont it?

Surely its better to have a ful sized door and opening.

Thanks for the advice now but this was a couple of weeks ago so I've already done it. I thought about it quite a bit and in the end went with what Woody said as wanted to gain as much height as possible. It turned out that the frame header was just a few mm shy of the wall top plate. In the videos and stuff I'd read I didn't see people screwing the frame header into the top plate so I just packed it a bit (3mm packing). Not sure if thats a bodge or not.

I suppose the rolls royce solution might have been to overlay the top plate with a thin strip of veneer then screwed my door frame header into that - not sure. Anyway it seems pretty solid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back