Stud Wall Head Plate on plasterboard ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to plasterboard a new ceiling, I have a Stud wall Head Plate I wish to fix to the ceiling joists, is there any harm in simply plaster boarding the whole ceiling first, then fixing the head plate over the plaster board screwing through to the wooden joist ?
Or should I fix directly to the timber ceiling frame, and cut my ceiling plaster Boards around the header plate.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
We always plasterboard ceilings prior to fixing stud walls.

However, we would only board the area where the wall lands (on a new build project) so as to allow access for the plumbers and leccy boys for their first fix.

So long as all your services are in - get boarding then fix your header.

Sponsored Links
Would the same apply to the wall, ie plaster board that then fix the upright stud over the plasterboard, screwing through to the Dormer face studs behind ?

And, would the floor, (which is 22mm T&G) not run under the sole plate of the stud, ie the sole plate would touch the floor joists and the T&G cut to butt up to the sole plate, so you can lift the boards at a later date and get access to services under the T&G boards ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back