Stud wall between joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to build a stud wall in our garage. The ceiling joists run parallel to the planned wall, and the wall will be right in the middle between two joists.

The only noggins I can find in the ceiling are one at either end, right next to the garage walls (which are 2.6m apart). There are none in between.

Is it OK to only attach the 2.6m top plate at the two end points, with no fixings in between?
Should I cut out strips of plasterboard between the joists and replace them with strips of wood which I can attach the top plate to? Or do something else?

The new wall will have a door, if it makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
If you can get access above the ceiling you could fix the extra noggins from above.
Or you could cut strips of the plaster board out from where you need to place the new noggins - fix the new noggins, and repair the p/board.
Remember that a few fixings into the floor would usually be necessary.

The above options would be my preferred way, however:

Depending on the length of the wall and its purpose, it might be possible to first fix to the existing noggins, & then using toggle bolts or similar heavy duty fixings to screw up through the top plate of the wall to fix through the p/board?

Put more noggins in, or L straps to the underside of the joists and the partition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back