Stud wall top plate between two joists - Are noggins ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m building a stud wall in our loft conversion which spans the width of the house. The run of the wall is under the sloping roof on each side with a straight part in the middle.

One side of the sloping part is directly underneath, and parallel to, the existing roof joist but the other side is right in the centre of two roof joists (with 400 centres).

I have fixed the top plate of the first side securely to the existing roof joist but was wondering if it is acceptable to fix noggins between the joists on the other side with which to fix that side of the top plate to?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly acceptable to fit noggins in between the joists, and probably the way most joiners would do this job. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps!

I was thinking I might have to spend thirty quid on timber putting another joist in!

Your comments really appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back