Stud Partition Sole Plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, any advice on this particular problem would be greatly appreciated.

I am moving a stud partition wall to alter the sub-division of the upper storey of a small extension. The work is part of a bathroom refurbishment.

The new head plate lines up nicely with a joist spanning the flank walls but the sole plate falls between between two joists (roughly in the middle.) I know the usual solution is to insert noggins between the two adjacent joists. Unfortunately I can't do this in my case as we have planned to run the toilet waste in the void beneath the floorboards. To me there seems little point installing 6" x 2" noggins only to drill wacking great 110mm holes through them.

My question is this: Is it sufficent to fix the sole plate just to the 18mm floorboards?

The proposed wall is small (1.5m wide x 2.4m high) and of usual construction; timber studs, 12.5mm plasterboard one side, and tiled aqua panel on the other. The wall won't be used for any heavy fixtures.

Many thanks in advance. No-hat.

Sponsored Links
No problem really, you could double up the flooring, by fixing some 2x2, 25mm beneath the top of the joists, fix 25mm ply to the tops of these battens, flush with the joist tops, then screw the main floorboards into this, then stud on top with a nice 43mm of floor to fix into.

Another idea might be to use 40mm angle iron, zig-zag it between the joists and that should provide a good support, depending on span though.

Another issue is access for the waste pipe, don't have any joints under that wall or you could really be in the **** (literally) :eek:

Don't forget insulation for soundproofing if the pb side of the wall is another room.

...and if you really want to get ahead, get a hat ;)

building control now insist on a double joist under stud partitions, though i have always thought this a little ott, especially when you think the weight is distributed across the wall length and cannot amount to much per sq inch.

put it another way, i doubt you will snap any floor boards.

i assume it is timber floor boards you have and not that chipboard rubbish?

Many thanks to both of you. Although I think I'll bite the bullet and drop in a joist after all. The advice about needing a double joist has put me off not having any at all. :eek:

Sponsored Links
So the toilet waste pipe was never really an issue then? You could've mentioned that before I did all that typing :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back