Knocking a wall and replacing with stud partition

Done and dusted with the knocking of the wall. It was much simpler than I thought. It was down in two hours with a chisel drill.
Thanks for all your help.

Now I have some question in regards to rebuilding.

I'm looking at using this size Timber for stud works 63mm x 38mm (does this seem right?)

How much gap should I leave between each stud. Would 600mm be ok? The studs will be 8 feet high and full width of the wall is 9 feet.

Which type of insulation is meant to be used in a partition wall? And what is the minimum depth that is required? And which depth is best to be used?

I have looked at Polystyrene Insulation or Insulation Slab, Can either one of these be used?

Sponsored Links
I'm looking at using this size Timber for stud works 63mm x 38mm (does this seem right?) How much gap should I leave between each stud. Would 600mm be ok? The studs will be 8 feet high and full width of the wall is 9 feet.
That’s going to be very flimsy; cost isn’t a significant factor so I always go for 4 x 2. Standard stud pitch is 400mm (to suit 2400 x 1200mm wide boards). Have a look at this;
http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/partition_wall.htm
Use screws not nails, stronger & doesn’t create any damage which all that hammering & bashing can. Hopefully you’ll get away with 2400 boards so one intermediate noggin will suffice if not, your going to need two. Don’t forget additional noggins to support switch/sockets & anything of any weight you want to hang on there. Use 12.5mm boards & if a loo is involved anywhere, it must be Wallboard 10 or Soundblock to comply with Building Regs.
Which type of insulation is meant to be used in a partition wall? And what is the minimum depth that is required? And which depth is best to be used? I have looked at Polystyrene Insulation or Insulation Slab, Can either one of these be used?
Mineral wool minimum 25mm thick but I usually use 4” cavity bats fixed with spray on adhesive. If you use polystyrene you must protect cables or it’ll attack the insulation.

stud spacing would depend on what boards you can get in.. ( stairs / doorways etc..)
as said, 400 centers for 1200 wide boards, 450 centers for 900 wide boards..

I think everythings been covered, I'd go with 100mmx50mm stud work,
With 400mm veritical centres, using 2400x1200x12.5 boards.
You can use rockwool, celotex/kingspan etc for insulation, if the space in the wall is 100mm. I would use at least 50mm insulation.
One other point electric cables should not be totally surround by thermal insulation or the cable size may need to upgraded to a higher size, to do with disapation of heat from the cables. As well as avoiding contact will polystyrene, which has been pointed out.
Also best to use dry-wall screws for fixing the plasterboards, not just any old screws you have. Screw the boards along top and bottom plate and down each vertical stud, spacing the screws about 150-200mm of each other.

Sponsored Links
The spacing there is a bit longer than the spacing I used (Wasn't enough space for two studs), But I have used 3 noggins to strengthen that section.

never stretch the spacings.. if needs be you can shorten the spacings of one to make the difference.. ( ie a 600mm gap then you put 1 to start, 1 at 400 center and the last one 200 from the middle one..)

Sideways photos drive me nuts!
You should have kept to 400mm centres, it does not matter if you last stud is only 300, 200, 100, 20mm etc......to final wall stud.
and make sure you get some screws in the joints, where the boards but up.

Yeah I've added stud behind the joint and screwed them in. I'll try to stick noggins in the wider spaced area.

Oh I did learn a good lesson, always have the plaster board in the room before the studs are up. I had to cut one noggin, to get the boards in the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back