Knocking out a non load bearing masonry partition wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an upstairs partition wall built with bricks on timber floor. There is no supporting wall below this partition wall. The weight of this wall is causing the ceiling below to be bowed and there is crack on the back wall.
A structural survey has revealed that it’s not a load bearing wall and I should knock it down and re-build a stud partition wall. I was just wondering what tools I would need to knock the wall down. I’m good with other DIY stuff but so far I haven’t attempted such a task. Should I use a sledge hammer or a masonry chisel and hammer? Any tips would be help full.

Sponsored Links
I would use a sledge hammer, but a SDS hammer drill with chisel bit does come in useful as can a lump hammer and chisel.
I would remove the plaster first, will help identify electric cables and pipe work that could be concealed within the wall.
Get some rubble bags. wheelbarrow, a skip (you won't believe how much will come out) that's if a tip and transport are not easily available.
bucket, brush, shovel, dust pan all help to tidy mess.
Wear gloves, dust mask, safety specs, hardhat, safety boots etc..
Get everything you can removed from the area, cover everything else with dust sheets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back