Studwork question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on building a timber studwall in the basement - it will go centrally to where the plasterboard line is on the picture.

My question is, as its a basement, should I avoid fixing the studs into the walls and floor? Is it sufficient enough to screw them into the joist work above and obviously to each other, avoiding any fixing to the concrete floor and stone walls? The only thing keeping them in place will be compression

I plan to use 100mm round wire nails for securing stud to stud, and 75mm countersunk wood screws for the fixing the head plate, etc.

How much space should I allow for the door opening stud to stud??

Am I doing the right thing?

PS the timber shown in the picture is being used to prop up the wall at the moment as its load bearing

Sponsored Links
Why not screw them to the walls and floor?
It doesn't seem right just fixing them at the top, and depending on compression.

For a 30" wide door we leave 32" betwixt studs or masonry openings.

The exact measurement of constructed casings is around 805mm.

It is important you fix the sole plate to the floor.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll fit the sole plate to the floor then.

There's currently a hole in the ceiling that needs patching with plasterboard and skimming, is it best i do this before I fit the stud?

Um, those flimsy bits of wood are being used to prop up a wall in your basement?

Sorry, but are you sure you know what you're doing?

Um, those flimsy bits of wood are being used to prop up a wall in your basement?

Clearly temporary. Out of interest what use do you think that post of yours is to me?

It was only asked out of politeness, from your extremely basic questions it's already very clear you have no idea what you're doing.

However your response also indicates that you're not interested in learning the right way to do things, and I have no interest in trying to convince you otherwise. Good day, and good luck.

Take the props out and see what happens first. :LOL:

Also, to add if I may? Is this a load bearing stud, if so, have you had the correct input given the obvious DIY nature of the job?

And to back up ivixor, the bits of timber you have propping up upstairs look both inadequate and poorly installed and out of plumb! They won't continue to do the job intended...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back