Small false bathroom wall questions head/sole plate.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

1. I am building a small false wall out of 36*63 timber,it will go at the end of the bath to hide where the shower is going and be tiled over and so will have an external corner (where the bath meets it). The entire thing will be 700mm (the bath width) by 165mm, so is pretty small. The problem is that the 165mm where I want to run the false wall back to the brick wall is not above a joist. Can I simply attach a Stud to the wall here and insted of using a head and sole plate screwed into the joists, just fit noggins at the top and bottom instead. After I have one 36 mm upright against the wall and two fixed at the external corner (which will be on the base plate running across the bath), the bit without a sole/head plate will only be a few inches anyhow. The side of the false wall running across the bath (700mm) will have normal sole/head plates screwed into the joists.

2. I have hammer fixers for fitting the end studs to the wall, how many do I need to put in each stud?

3. Another stupid question but when fixing head/sole plate how many screws go into each joist? Is one enough? should I drill a pilot first? Are 70 mm screws enough to go through 36mm studs, floorboards and into joist?

Cheers
Ben

Sponsored Links
Head and sole plates in this instance will be largely irrelevant as far as stability is concerned as your strength will be gained from the two wall fixed timbers.

4 fixings in each upright. One top one bottom and a couple inbetwixt.

Always use a minimum of two fixings when connecting timber together. One fixing is easy to pull apart whereas two can work in opposition making the joint harder to separate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back